Monday, October 4, 2010

Sometimes it’s GOOD When the Law of Attraction Doesn’t Work

It was all set. Chris Cade, the Abundant Mystic faculty member, and I were going to meet at Café Gratitude in Berkeley for lunch. Chris was in town, from Oregon, to visit his family and we were going to connect in person for the first time.

If you’re like me you know how fun and exciting it is to meet a “virtual” friend for the first time in “real life!” So I was looking forward to this connection.

But Friday afternoon, I had another car-related complication (what is it with me and cars?) that meant I had to cancel our meeting.

I was disappointed and frustrated. I felt like I was letting Chris down, and, for a moment, I caught myself feeling let down by the Universe. Have you ever felt that existential frustration when things don’t work out the way you “want” them to?

It can be very easy to go into blame in those moments: To seek out a reason why things aren’t working out. It’s at those times when we may wonder “Why isn’t the Law of Attraction working?

But it’s also at those moments that we have the opportunity to drop even deeper into trust and faith, to let go of our need to direct the outcome and learn to really “go with the flow.”

After a short moment or two, I came to my senses and remembered the truth that everything works out in its own perfect timing and manner. For whatever reason, this was not the time for me to meet Chris. I didn’t know why. And, in that moment I was perfectly fine accepting that I might not ever know why.

Sometimes you just have to let go of knowing.

And other times the reason becomes very clear!

The following Monday morning I dealt with my car issue and was back home by around 12:30 looking forward to my “free” afternoon. Ella was in aftercare for an extra day so that I could meet with Chris. So I had an open afternoon and was planning to get some work done and then go for a short hike before picking up Ella.

But at 12:45, literally 5-minutes after I sat down at my desk, I received a call from Ella’s school. She had fallen and hurt herself badly enough that I needed to go pick her up. So I turned right back around and went over to get her. FYI: She’s fine, just a bad bump.

Now you probably already see where this is going. But it took me until Wednesday morning to make the connection.

What if I had been down in Berkeley to meet with Chris?

Ella’s mom was not available to pick her up. And I would have been over an hour away. Now, fortunately, it was not a major “owie” and Ella would have been fine. But even so, I’m very thankful that I was able to get over to the school within 5-minutes of getting that phone call.

And once I made the connection between those two events, it was a powerful reminder of how the Universe often orchestrates events for our benefit – even though it may not always feel like it in the moment!

We can’t always see or know the “why” of things. We can’t always understand why something that we really want is not coming to us in the timeframe we would like.

Stuck in traffic? Maybe the Universe is keeping you from some greater misfortune up ahead.

Not as much money flowing into your life as you’d like? Perhaps you’re being given the opportunity to do some inner work to open the flow to even more!

Does the Law of Attraction always “work?” Do we always get what we “want?”

I don’t have an answer to that. And unlike some Law of Attraction teachers, I don’t believe that the Law of Attraction “works” 100% of the time. Unless you consider that it “works” at levels that are both way above and way below our conscious awareness.

For instance, is it possible that my higher consciousness “knew” that Ella was going to need me to pick her up on Monday? And if so, did I co-create the situation with my car so that I would be available to pick her up?

It’s certainly possible. After all, we are all energy and we are all interconnected. An awareness of everything that is happening, has happened and is going to happen is available to us in every moment.

So the next time you don’t get something you want, when you want it, take a step back and explore how you are benefiting from not getting it. Because there is always a benefit and a blessing in every situation! There truly is a sliver lining to every cloud. Your job is to find it!

To YOUR True Abundance

Edward


View the original article here

No comments: